6 Dangers That Can Happen if Your Home is not Kid-Friendly

Home is not Kid-Friendly

Your home should be a place of safety and refuge, it is where your kids can have protection from harm. However, each year, there are about 2,000 children aged 14 years and younger die as result of a home injury, according to American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), an American professional association of pediatricians that promotes pediatrics and advances child health priorities.

A mother named, Brianna Rader of Richmond, Ky., shared her tragic story at the National Safety Council, a nonprofit, nongovernmental public service organization promoting health and safety in the United States when her 4-year-old son lost his life because of asphyxiation after choking on ground cinnamon.

She said that her son managed to come up on a kitchen countertop and discovered a container of ground cinnamon. Her son started choking as he wants to have a taste of it. The child had inhaled the spice into his lungs in which he was marked dead at a hospital 90 minutes later.

So even if you think you are doing a great job of childproofing, there are still things that you might have missed. Keep reading as we share with you how you can make your home healthier and child-friendly.

Start a Fire

  • Matches and Candles. Yes, your child can be capable of accidentally lighting a match and cause a fire and it doesn’t matter how rudimentary his/her fine motor skills. Plus, your kid might swallow and chew on a candle and can choke on the wax.

So try to keep those candles and matches where they can’t obtain it. You can opt for flameless LED candles that can mimic the effect of flickering candlelight.

Injury and Cuts

  • Picture Frames. You might think this can be a bit irrelevant but if your child knocks over or drops a frame, the glass can break and can cut him/her. Put them in unattainable places or you can mount them on the wall, or opt for the plastic ones.
  • TV Stand. It is normal for a child to climb everywhere so try to mount your television safely on the wall if you can. He/she can climb on a TV stand, then the set can fall on her/him. If not, make sure that your TV on stand is properly anchored to the wall too.
  • Fireplace. This is pretty obvious but sometimes many can overlook. Your children may accidentally trip and hurt themselves against a pointed or stony hearth, so if possible, purchase some pads for the edges. It is best to install heat-resistant gates to use while the flames are burning.
  • Glass Coffee Table. Think about it, is your glass coffee table protected? Or if you have any other glass tables that have sharp edges can be dangerous for little kids who are learning to walk. It can cut their foreheads and eye area. You may remove that table instead and replace it with a new tempered-glass top and edge guards.

Electrocution

  • Cords and Power Strips. Avoid exposing your power strip at home. Your child may get curious and unplug a cord from it, or stick a metal object inside one of the holes, and shock himself. You can hide them behind your furniture or if they need to be visible, purchase a power-strip cover.

Fatal Choking

  • Small Toys. If you have toys that are smaller than 1 inch in diameter, particularly those in shapes of round and oval. These things can block the throat of a young child and can cause fatal choking. This is just the same for small square toys. Avoid buying these type of toys preferably until they are 5 years old.
  • Remote Batteries. Sometimes our remotes can miss their battery covers. Be extra careful of button batteries, the ones that our watches, hearing aids, or toys have in them. If your child does experience to swallow any type of battery, immediately take him to the E.R.

Suffocation

  • Drop-side Cribs. After your child learns how to sit up, you must lower the crib mattress and try not put stuffed toys too. According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), the tendency for traditional drop-side cribs is that they can break, and your child can be trapped and suffocated on the side. These types of cribs were already banned from being sold in the United States.
  • Window Blinds. If you have window blinds that have cords, you might want to replace them with the cordless ones instead. Why? Your child might get his neck stuck in a looped cord and be asphyxiated. Invest in cordless window coverings to eliminate the hazard.

Ingesting Hazards

  • Cleaning Products. Our kitchen is an area that is full of risks. You want to try to make it off-limits as possible if you are not there. Products such as dishwasher detergents, drain openers, and furniture polish should be protected.

Secure your lower cabinets with a magnetic lock, or you can use a conventional fastener along with a childproof locked box, or if that’s not possible for you, just make sure that you take the chemicals high as you can, out of reach from your children.

  • Dishwasher. Detergent is the most serious hazard that your kid may ingest. Run the dishwasher as soon as you put in the detergent. Also, keep your knives that come with blades under and leave dishes in the machine for a little period as possible.

Author Bio: Ivandrea Ollero is a resident writer for PAAL Kit Homes, one of Australia’s kit home leaders that offers a range of flexible kit house designs options. She researches and write custom content about home improvements, finance, law, travel, fashion, and beauty. She graduated from St. Scholastica’s College, Manila, with a Bachelor’s Degree in Broadcast Journalism in 2016.

Related posts

Leave a Comment